We have a great webinar that goes thru all the steps. In brief:
- Set up a self-directed IRA that allows investment in real estate funds. We can recommend several.
- Transfer your IRA to your SD-IRA. This might take a few weeks from start to finish.
- Use your new SD-IRA to invest in NDF7 or another illiquid fund.
- Wait 12-18 months. Consult with your CPA to make sure this strategy fits your overall plan.
- Have a CPA do a FMV fair market valuation of your investment. It’ll be 30-50% less than your basis.
- Provide the FMV to your IRA custodian, and they’ll update the value for the IRS.
- Convert from SD-IRA to Roth IRA. You’ll pay less tax than if you did it before the FMV study.